My PCB Prototype Board

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

bitfogav

My PCB Prototype Board

Post by bitfogav » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:24 pm

Hi everyone! :)

I have been working on this project for the last few days, and have just got round to making my own PCB's. I wanted to make a board that gave me access to all the data pins and to use a LCD display. So I designed a schematics using Diptrace and then created my own PCB layout and made it onto some copper clad.

I decided to use a 40pin microcontroller, 20mhz crystal, 8 leds and 8 buttons, LCD display which can be detached from the board.
Heres some pictures:

pcb layout-
pcb.jpg
pcb.jpg (134.56 KiB) Viewed 17879 times
pcb board-
back pcb.JPG
back pcb.JPG (69.57 KiB) Viewed 17879 times
proto board-
front prot b.JPG
front prot b.JPG (54.18 KiB) Viewed 17879 times
Heres a video: (video not quite the right way up but you get the idea)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My PCB Prototype Board

Post by brad » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:57 am

Wow man, I can't believe how perfect that completed board came out! Did you use the press n peel paper?

I have made boards myself but they don't seem to come out as perfect as your pic here...

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:29 am

brad wrote:Wow man, I can't believe how perfect that completed board came out! Did you use the press n peel paper?

I have made boards myself but they don't seem to come out as perfect as your pic here...
Yeah for this I used press and peel, i just set my iron on max and held it on it until you could see the print through the press and peel paper!, I also use a piece of paper between the press and peel paper and the iron, so the iron is not in direct contact with the press and peel paper! :)

I tried the UV light way but I think i mixed up the cemicals wrong and the Pre-Sensitised film all came off!! hehe! oops! :)

odessa
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by odessa » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:51 pm

Thats a fantastic board Gav ! , Im working on a similar one using a GLCD at the moment.

If when you tried using photoresist all the film came off it sounds like you didn't develop it for long enough...you should get a really clear image of the tracks on the board.

I really like the way you have layed out and routed that board btw ... top job !! :D
(\_/)
(='.')
(")-(")
This is a bunny, copy bunny into your signature to help him achieve world domination.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:34 pm

Gota love diptrace! The best darn PCB program out there!

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:35 pm

Excellent job! Forget doing my own, I'll just send you the schematics for my projects. :mrgreen:

Stacy
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:37 pm

odessa wrote:Thats a fantastic board Gav ! , Im working on a similar one using a GLCD at the moment.
I look forward to seeing your board Jay! :)

odessa wrote:If when you tried using photoresist all the film came off it sounds like you didn't developer it for long enough...you should get a really clear image of the tracks on the board.
Yeah I tried using photoresist film but when I put it into the developer for 5-10 sec I saw the outline for the traces, went to take the board out of the developer and half of the
traces dissapeared, the developer turned black! and so not sure if the mix was too strong? I guess its a case of trial and error? Ill have to give it ago again, maybe on a smaller project lol.
odessa wrote:I really like the way you have layed out and routed that board btw ... top job !! :D.
Thanks Jay! :D

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:39 pm

sdudley wrote:Excellent job! Forget doing my own, I'll just send you the schematics for my projects. :mrgreen:

Stacy
Thanks Stacy :) nice to see you back :)

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:56 pm

brad wrote:Gota love diptrace! The best darn PCB program out there!
Yeah Brad I thought about purchasing DipTrace Non-Profit version (1000 pin limit - 4 layers).

Has for this Project Board I used just over 200 pin connections and the limit for the free version is 300 pins, Imagine if I used a double sided board, im sure Ill be reaching the limit of the free version! :)

I would like to say though that I made all the traces and connections myself, and didnt use the Auto-Trace functions that you get with Diptrace. :)

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:08 pm

bitfogav wrote: Thanks Stacy :) nice to see you back :)
Nice to be back... I miss you silly guys!

Stacy
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:24 pm

Well it's hard not to miss us :)

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:39 pm

Hey guys,

Brad convinced me to move from Eagle to DipTrace (so I did). I am having trouble saving my schematics to an image.

I see you guys posting images of PCB layout's so I know it can be done there (I have yet to open the PCB editor), but how about in the schematic editor?

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Stacy

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:34 am

Hey Stacy,

Well if your using diptrace schematics then the way I would convert my schematics to a image is by clicking on the preview button:
111.jpg
111.jpg (21.25 KiB) Viewed 17822 times
Then click on the save button, this will save the schematics as an image:
222.jpg
222.jpg (18.74 KiB) Viewed 17822 times
Then you should get a box pop up like this to save the image:
333.jpg
333.jpg (14.72 KiB) Viewed 17822 times
There is probably an easier way than this but this is the way I found.

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks bitfogav.

I also posted the question on the DipTrace forums and was given the same answer. Just not as well done as yours! :wink:

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Nice one bitfogav!