POGO - TFT display Game system KIT

Post here to let others know of great places to buy components etc... online.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bitfogav

POGO - TFT display Game system KIT

Post by bitfogav » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:52 pm

Thought I would share this Hand Held Games system which you can make your own games on.

**Supports the high level 4DGL language platform, syntax very similar to C**
1290725607.jpg
1290725607.jpg (40.15 KiB) Viewed 7861 times
Playing a computer game is one thing, but have you ever wondered how these games are produced?

Do you want to learn how to make your own computer games?
Is it really a 'dark art' practised by gurus working in secret for large companies?
Do you want the satisfaction of showing your friends cool games that you have created?
4D Systems would like to introduce the PoGa, a Portable Game Development console and 4DGL (4D Graphics Language), a cost effective way for you to be able to learn all about game development and programming.

PoGa incorporates a 128xRGBx128 pixel full colour TFT display, 'standard' game console push button layout for controlling the game flow, a small loudspeaker for sound effects, and a micro SD card for storing images and game data. It is driven by the tiny yet powerful GOLDELOX-PoGa custom graphics processor from 4D Labs. Graphics, text, image, animation and countless more features are built right inside the chip. For portability the PoGa can be powered for many hours on standard 3xAAA batteries.

The 4D Graphics language provides enough power and flexibility to make some really cool games and learn the 'art of programming' with a leisurely learning curve. The 4D Workshop incorporates a text editor, graphics tools, compiler and program down-loader in a neat and easy to use package. You can have your first demo game running within minutes and then start to understand how to modify and improve existing games or use 'building blocks' of code to create your very own games!
more info can be found here:
http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=135

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: POGO - TFT display Game system KIT

Post by brad » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:54 am

I had a look at the specifications and was surprised that it only has 512 bytes of ram. That is nowhere near enough ram to hold onto even just one frame of animation. They must be doing some fancy coding that I'm not doing!

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:58 am

Im guessing it uses the memory card for most of its support?. It seems quite cheap in price for what it is? :)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:50 am

The memory card would hold all of the graphics etc... (Just like the program memory holds graphics for my games) but when I want to draw the graphics on the screen, I save all the graphic data to ram and then in my DisplayGraphics routine, it will just call that data in ram and send it out to the display.

This is no big deal when we are talking about an 8x8 RGB LED matrix because you only need 24 bytes of ram for each frame.

but when you are talking about a 128 x 128 pixel display (even if we keep it to just RGB) then you would need over 6KBytes of ram to store each frame.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:29 pm

how-could-the-wii-2-controller-work-20110415053115064-000.jpg
how-could-the-wii-2-controller-work-20110415053115064-000.jpg (37.5 KiB) Viewed 7851 times