Hardware is dead

Post here if it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hardware is dead

Post by Chuckt » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 pm

Amazon is running ads on new Kindles because they aren't making any money selling them. Now you are forced to recon with something that is cheap and more powerful than many homebrew computers.

At these levels there is almost no profit margin left in the hardware business. A $45 tablet is cheap enough to be an impulse purchase at the check-out line in Best Buy. A $45 price puts tablets within reach of a whole host of other activities not traditionally associated with computers. Tablets could be used by waiters in restaurants. By mechanics in auto body shops. By every nurse in a hospital. By pretty much any category of work that today needs a computer but where PCs are too expensive to be deployed. These are also devices built entirely for commercial reasons, no government backing, no academic sponsor, no proof-of-concept.
I think this leads to an important conclusion: No one can make money selling hardware anymore. The only way to make money with hardware is to sell something else and get consumers to pay for the whole device and experience.
http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/15/hardware-is-dead/

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hardware is dead

Post by brad » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:15 pm

I think you might be right!

My kickstarter campaign seems to be a little bit like this :)

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:53 pm

How much have you advertised?

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:24 pm

It's been on some good sites including NBCNews and should be on hackaday very soon (have been emailed telling me it will be up soon)

But I think it's just the price that kind of kills it. The shipping costs as much as the product!