First use of the term "Hacker"?

Post here if it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

First use of the term "Hacker"?

Post by Chuckt » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:01 pm

I own the book "Hackers" (Heroes Of The Computer Revolution) by Steven Levy.

There are enough online posts or online articles that ask what "Hacker" means to them or what their personal definition means and I owned my first Commodore 64 in 1983 so I was around a little longer than the new generation was; I'm assuming this generation online are mostly kids. I was given the book "Hackers" for Christmas and the gift giver said it was where the term "Hacker" originated from. I'm just a little tired of the definitions I see today qualifying as Hacks. Read about some of the real Hackers. This book is probably the only book that shows where the term "Hacker" came from.

You can find the book on Amazon. The electronic version is cheaper. This book is copyrighted 1984.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: First use of the term "Hacker"?

Post by Chuckt » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:07 pm

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First use of the term "Hacker"?

Post by brad » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:15 pm

I have noticed the term 'hacker' to be used quite loosely these days!