ARM mini computer round up

Post here if it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

ARM mini computer round up

Post by Chuckt » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:23 am

A selection of computers that are alternates to the Raspberry Pi. These are intestering to look at considering the Raspberry Pi won't be available until september but the Raspberry Pi is now the cult educational computer.

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/05/10/p ... _the_rest/

ODROID-X: The $129 Quad-core Alternative to Raspberry Pi
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ODROID-X- ... 39078.html

http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/ ... 3999328931

bitfogav

Re: ARM mini computer round up

Post by bitfogav » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:48 am

Chuckt wrote:These are intestering to look at considering the Raspberry Pi won't be available until september
I got a few Raspberry Pi's a few months ago! :)
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:41 am

Great to see RISC OS is getting some use!

bitfogav - have you done much with your raspberry pi's?

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:02 am

brad wrote: bitfogav - have you done much with your raspberry pi's?
Well there on the shell collecting dust at the moment :lol: I spent hours trying to get the damn thing to work! to begin with I needed the correct SD card, when I got the correct SD Card I spent a few more hours trying to get the thing to run Linux, several keyboards later I eventually got it working and then thats been that :lol: apart from that I need to look into Python language to be able to do more with it?.

Hopefully theres abit more info and help now that its been out for a few months :)
heres a good example using the GPIO pins with some Leds:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 63&t=11066
If you don't know what Voltage your country is using, you shouldn't be doing electronics ;-)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:10 am

You can certainly see the similarities between c, basic and this (which is python right?)

Code: Select all

import time
import RPi.GPIO as GPIO

GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BOARD)

from array import *
a = array('i',[7,11,12,13,15,16,18,22])

for i in range (0,8)
       print "setup pin", a[i]
      GPIO.setup(a[i],GPIO.OUT)
      GPIO.output(a[i],GPIO.HIGH)

count = 0
delay = 0.04

while (count <1):
   print "turning on..."
   for i in range(0,8):
        GPIO.output(a[i],GPIO.LOW)
        time.sleep(delay)
        for (i>0):
             GPIO.output(a[i-1],GPIO.HIGH)
             GPIO.output(a[i],GPIO.HIGH)
        print(i)

print "done. turning off"
   for i in range(0,8)
        GPIO.output(a[7-i],GPIO.LOW)
         time.sleep(delay)
        for (i>0):
             GPIO.output(a[7-(i-1)],GPIO.HIGH)
             GPIO.output(a[7-i],GPIO.HIGH)
        print(i)

print "off"

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:19 am

yup definitely similar to C and Basic Brad, the hardest part is just trying to get the code to run on the board :)

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:14 am

bitfogav wrote:
Chuckt wrote:These are intestering to look at considering the Raspberry Pi won't be available until september
I got a few Raspberry Pi's a few months ago! :)
How did you get a few? They sold out quickly and they were limiting them to one per customer.

The feedback I got from another board is the Raspberry Pi only has 6 GPIO pins and I'm reading there were quality control issues. It is kind of disheartening. Its not as easy as it appears?

Wondering whether I should wait or pass. I started to really want one and to order one for its availability in September.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:22 am

bitfogav wrote:
brad wrote: bitfogav - have you done much with your raspberry pi's?
Well there on the shell collecting dust at the moment :lol: I spent hours trying to get the damn thing to work! to begin with I needed the correct SD card, when I got the correct SD Card I spent a few more hours trying to get the thing to run Linux, several keyboards later I eventually got it working and then thats been that :lol: apart from that I need to look into Python language to be able to do more with it?.

Hopefully theres abit more info and help now that its been out for a few months :)
heres a good example using the GPIO pins with some Leds:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 63&t=11066
Which build did you use? Debian or the newer Raspbian install?

I would like to teach my son BBC basic on it.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:26 am

Im a good customer with RS-Components and Farnell so when it was available to Preorder the Raspberry Pi back in Feb/March 2012 I think? I Preordered one from RS-Components and one from Farnell, both of them got accepted so I received two back in late April, early June?.

My first experience with the Raspberry Pi wasn't a good one but you got to remember I was prob one of the first batches of Raspberry Pi's to be received, and there was little info or help at the time, but ive looked on the website now and there's alot more info for issues if you have any? and its only a small £22 computer? cant really expect it to work like a £800 desktop? :)

I used the Debian operating system.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:15 pm

Not bad for the money though is it.

I remember reading electronics magazines back in the 90's and they had these tiny little single board computers but the price tag was in the multiple hundreds of dollars. It's great how these days we can get great hobby gear for such a good price.