Multimeter recommendation

Post here if it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Multimeter recommendation

Post by Chuckt » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:50 am

I have gift cards for Amazon. I'm looking for a cheap multimeter. Is this multimeter more than I'll ever need?

Extech EX330 Autoranging Mini Multimeter with Built In Thermometer with Type K Remote Probe
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EX ... d_i=507846

Or should I buy a cheap unit like this:

Digital Multimeter - MAS830L
http://www.amazon.com/Electriduct-Digit ... 362&sr=1-3

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Multimeter recommendation

Post by brad » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:57 pm

You should be able to get a cheaper auto ranging meter than that one.

Auto ranging meters are great because you just select what you want to measure and it will take care of the range until it gives you the most accurate representation. (rather than you having to connect up you test probes and fiddle with the meter to get the best reading)

Are there any others available?

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:45 pm

If I ask around, everyone recommends a "Fluke" for some reason but they are so expensive that it is just out of the question right now.

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:30 am

Fluke multimeters seem to be the best on the market for quality and accuracy, Ive had mine for 15 or so years and it hasn't failed yet!. but like you say they come at a price. Im sure this basic one with AutoRanging would be suitable and cheap for your needs.
http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3320-Auto-R ... pd_cp_hi_4

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Thank you. It is on my list. I'm glad that I don't have to keep buying equipment over and over again because it is not the right stuff.